Yeah LA, we made a statement today!
Safe Routes To SchoolÂ National Partnership CAÂ and the Los Angeles County Bicycle CoalitionÂ have beenÂ leading theÂ broad coalition of engaged advocates urging Metro investment in active transportation of walking and biking.Â We giveÂ a HUGE thanksÂ to the crowd from all over LA County andÂ theÂ Los Angeles County Active Transportation Collaborative Partners thatÂ attended Metroâ€™s Policy and Programming Committee today. WeÂ were heard – undeniable support forÂ a commitment to an active transportation strategy! We give a nod and thanks to the leadership of Metro Directors: Mike Bonin, Pam Oâ€™Connor, John Fasana and Mark Ridley Thomas. We now look forward to next Thursday, July 24th when theÂ Metro BoardÂ will consider adoption of theÂ motion proposed to:
1. Develop an Active Transportation Finance Strategy for Los Angeles County by January 2015 that:
- Defines performance metrics to measure improvements for walking and biking, including: access to walking and biking infrastructure, access to education and encouragement programs, rates of Metro customers walking and biking to transit, collision and injury/fatality rates and greenhouse gas reductions from active transportation
- Sets benchmarks based on the developed performance metrics and identifies what level of annual investment is necessary to meet those goals
- Inventories available funding sources to meet the investment need
- Recommends possible changes to Metro, state, and federal policies to increase access to existing funding sources if the need exceeds available funding, including but not limited to an analysis of the funding priorities of Metroâ€™s Call for Projects and the state Active Transportation Program.
2. Report back in October on what steps are necessary to incorporate walking and biking in Metroâ€™s travel demand model, with an assessment of best practices by other regional transportation agencies for accounting for active transportation with interim off-model approaches, and expanding data sets to include all trips not just commute data.
See the full motion here.
from leadership at Safe Routes to School National Partnership, California
LA County: Why Is It Important to Understand Transportation Finance?
Metroâ€™s Approach to Active Transportation Doesnâ€™t Add upÂ