- This event has passed.
Climate Fest 2018
May 19, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Join us at Climate Fest 2018!
We will be in the Bike Hub at Climate Fest 2018!
The Bike Hub will be full of activities, including:
• Morning Bike Ride with the Mayor to Climate Fest
• Bike Swap
• Free bike safety checks, minor repairs
• Bicycling 101 – free class
• Youth Bike Skills & Obstacle Course – led by Santa Monica Spoke
• Cargo Bike Demo’s and test rides
• FREE BIKE VALET
Plus lots and lots more fun activities and engagement being added!!
To follow up last year’s successful Community Climate Action Summit, the City of Santa Monica is pleased to announce that Climate Fest will take place on May 19, 2018.
Join your neighbors for a community day of action, education and fun! Learn about what your community is doing to reduce carbon emissions and how you can reduce your own carbon footprint! This year’s Climate Fest will show how anyone, regardless of age, gender, or income, can become a climate champion!
ClimateFest is a free community event that will celebrate and inspire climate action, co-produced by the City of Santa Monica and Climate Action Santa Monica
Información y registro gratis En Español
Interested in volunteering at ClimateFest? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9 AM – Bike Ride with the Mayor / Registration (more info and links to Mayor’s ride coming soon)
- 10 AM – Opening Ceremony
- Free Lunch and Closing Social Hour (Registration required)
- Live Music & Entertainment
- Speaker Panels on the Future of Energy, Mobility & Water
- Hands-On Workshops: Solar for Apartments & Condos, Intro to Drip Irrigation, Home Energy Audits, Plant-based Cooking, Upcycling Tees into Bags, Composting for Businesses, Apartments and Condos
- Sustainable Schools & Students Showcase: SMMUSD Sustainability Plan, Student Sustainability Activities, Grades of Green, Annual Sustainable Student Poster Contest featured winners
- Family Bike Hub: Youth Skills Course, Cargo Bikes, Bike Repair, Bike Swap
- Electric Vehicle Ride-and-Drive & Info Booth
- Community Voices on Climate Action (Powered by Pecha Kucha)
- Kids Activities & Childcare
Detailed agenda to follow.
Free bike valet will be available; Breeze bikes can be parked at the bike valet without incurring the $2 out-of-hub fee. Big Blue Bus lines 1, 2, 9 and 18 are a short walk from the venue. Limited parking available onsite.
What if I cannot attend for the whole day?
We welcome whatever amount of participation you can contribute. ClimateFest will have activities all day (9 AM – 6 PM) starting early with a “Bike Ride with the Mayor” arriving at St. Monica’s at 9:30 AM and ending with a Social Hour. Once on site, attendees will have choices as to how they wish to participate. Organizers will post the final schedule in advance so you can better plan your day and begin to make choices as to which workshops, talks, and activities to attend.
Are children allowed to attend?
Children are welcome to attend. We will have kid-centric activities and childcare available.
What if I don’t live in Santa Monica?
If you work in Santa Monica or visit often, your voice is important too and you are welcome to attend!
Where can I learn more about climate change in Santa Monica and Los Angeles?
Local climate change impacts have been modeled and projected for the LA region. To learn more, visit www.kcet.org/climate-change-la.
Where can I learn more about climate action in Santa Monica?
The Office of Sustainability and the Environment is responsible for the City’s climate action planning efforts. To learn more, visit www.sustainablesm.org/climate.
What the heck is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha Kucha was devised in Tokyo in 2003 as an event for young designers to meet, network, and show their work in public. Pecha Kucha is a simple presentation format where you show 20 images, each for 20 seconds for a total of 6 min and 40 sec. The images advance automatically and you talk along to the images. We are inviting you to submit your own Pecha Kucha talk to present at the Summit!
Contact email@example.com for details.
Calendar powered by The Events Calendar